jeudi 16 janvier 2014

Friends in both languages



 Hello Everyone!

Here's is a small (and I believe common) conundrum. I speak two languages (actually two and a half for the time being). well the spoken part is easy, but about the written part... what am I to do?

Well I decided to keep two blogs then. Sorry for the "one language" speakers, but then again should I just discriminate and do only one. or frustrate some and do a bilingual blog following my hearts desire. For some it would not be a problem. but I believe it might not quite be a good idea to post blogs some could understand only half.

Anyways, about my life now:


Southampton is a modest sized ocean town. I will board the boat in two hours and am here since 4pm local yesterday and I mostly walk so I did not get to see al of it. nonetheless the map size would point to a small town. Gentrification through the cruise lines meets the ruins of medieval fortifications. there is singular 500m long shopping street, we are in the western world. What is left is an old town, red bricks and yellow lighting, and industrial areas aging badly. The smell of fried food tries to camouflage the fresh and gentle ocean air. temperatures are very keen. averaging 10-15°C nowadays. the ocean surely temperates the climate. English people are funny, I missed a slight drizzle, the sky was genrously sprinkled with patches of blue sky and some orange clouds at sundown and they told me it was a dismal and dreadful weather. hehe.


Some shop names: poundland and superdrug, hell yeah! I did three laps around the food court after wandering in empty streets, and it appears that this ocean town caters to cruises and not fishing. The only fish I could find was wasted thanks to deep fat frying so I naturally ended by eating a "california style burrito". They had an assortment of "El Yucateco" sauces I had never tasted before but since It was day one of 150 I decided against buying a, nonetheless very good and favored, mexican sauce whilst on my way to peru.


The boat is a monster, a leviathan (that word really sticks with me, there will be a book). I was intimidated when I saw it for the first time, lurking out from behind a titan shopping mall. Picture is attached. There will be internet but supposedly very expensive. so Probably will post half a dozen of blog entries in one session, here and there. estimated passenger 1200/4000, there will be space and time to relax and breathe and take time to meet and talk!

I am very impatient and look forward to the ocean, crossing it. It will be very different from I could have experienced in previous lives, for sure different from what humans have fared through to america in the beginning of so-called United states of america.

It will be an incredible experience, socially too. How does one live in a closed moving village with no escape? I dread missing the time to "do everything I want". 11 days seem awfully short for a whole ocean. Then again, she is so huge, the ocean must seem smaller. yeah right. I'll look forward to doing half a mile laps around the deck ( I really hope there is a level where you can go around the boat the whole way without having to go in or change levels) and realizing there is nothing but water all around.
In this lifetime I still have not gotten around to let the fact sink in that "our" planet is mostly water! (yeah my english can be clumsy at time)

I can start embarking around 10h30. Went there yesterday to check things out, looks like I will spend some time in a waiting room with free wifi, so I'll probably post something then ( maybe in french though). The lady ( very nice had a small talk) at the information desk told me I should be inside by noon. I am so very much looking forward to this weird place that is a floating building! I really feel that whatever I fantasize about "common luxuries" there will be. saunas and spas and nightclubs, restaurants, boutiques, video games, sport centers, lunges and coffee shops. I wonder about brand names, okay I'll have a small wager and guess there will be a Starbucks, if there is I will use the name gonzague if I ever buy something there.

I would be very happily surprised if there is an organic shop. I hope to find a juice bar, it would be perfect if included in the so called "freestyle" food plan I am on. By the way, I have a friend that's surprised of the fact that "everyone posts pictures of their meal on the internet" so here's a pic of the mornings english breakfast.


There could be only a downtrodden wallmart on that freaking vessel I'd be happy because tens of hours of ocean contemplating are sure to be there. Ha! I can weather any storm for a view of she almighty Nature!

Now I need to go walk under the sky and marvel at what one can create of his life.

I am full of love, It is seeping out of every pores. Be merry and enjoy your life.

See you in five!

Scott


3 commentaires:

  1. I'm hungry for some english breakfast now. thanks.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Am looking forward to both languages. For me its a vacation without having to pack. Thanks for doing this

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. This is amazing - the posts and the ship! Love the ubiquitous brown sauce; am ever so glad you did not choose white sauce or red sauce or ... And just a suggestion (I am your auntie :) maybe try one blogspot with the both language posts? Actually, the french to english google translation wasn't bad (it wasn't good either).

    RépondreSupprimer